[WSBAPT] Estate Planning for Non-Married Couple

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Sat Mar 17 14:01:21 PDT 2018

I started looking into drafting an estate plan for an unmarried couple, and I have a problem with how to retitle current assets. Let's say the real property has a loan on it. You can't quit claim the interest in the property without triggering due on sale (the exclusion for transfers to family members doesn't apply because they are not technically family), and even if the lender allowed it, DOR would want to collect 1.78% tax on the transfer. They can't do a community property agreement since they aren't married. Does anyone have experience dealing with this situation? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
James Pleasants, P.C.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel.
(425) 497-0799 fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.