[WSBAPT] Foreign beneficiaries

Teunis J. Wyers teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Tue Mar 6 13:31:47 PST 2018

I have been watching your post in hopes of seeing some replies, since I
have a similar situation. So far no takers, I guess.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Krista MacLaren <kjm.inc at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Listmates,
>
> I have an estate planning client who is leaving her non-taxable estate to
> her three adult daughters.  One is a U.S. citizen residing here, one is a
> Canadian citizen residing in Canada, and one is a Canadian citizen with
> permanent resident status in Mexico who resides in Mexico.  Mom is
> wondering whether any of her kids’ shares will be taxed.  The U.S. share is
> safe, but I have no idea about the shares going to kids in Canada or
> Mexico.  Does anyone know if they tax inheritances from the U.S.?
>
> Also, if the will states that if any of her children predecease her, that
> child’s share goes to her children by right of representation, then if the
> Mexico-residing daughter predeceased, and there needed to be a trust for
> the Mexican grandchildren, then would it be simplest to appoint U.S. based
> daughter as trustee of the Mexican children’s trust and keep the trust in
> the U.S.?  None of the other daughters have minor children.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Krista
>
> Krista J. MacLaren
> Attorney at Law
> Northgate Executive Center II
> 9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
> Seattle WA 98115
> (206) 523-6116
> kjm.inc at icloud.com
>
> Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email
> messages. Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address
> cannot be assured. This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the
> individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may
> contain confidential or privileged information. If you received this email
> in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the
> sender regarding the error and delete the message.

Teunis J. Wyers @ Wyers|Wyers, Attorneys
Oregon Office:
     216 Columbia St. - P.O. Box 917
     Hood River, OR 97031
     (541)386-2210/610-1520 (fax)
Washington Office:
     218 E. Steuben St. - P. O. Box 421
     Bingen, WA  98605
     (509) 493-2772/493-2406 (fax)
Email:  teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Web:  www.wyerslawpc.com

NOTICE:  This email (including any attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (EPCA), 18 U.S.C., Sec. 2510 - 2522,
is confidential and privileged.  This email is solely for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  Receipt by anyone other
than the individual recipient(s) is NOT a waiver of attorney-client
privilege.  Any violation of the ECPA is subject to the penalties stated
therein. If you have received this message in error, please notify me
immediately by reply e-mail and immediately delete the original message.