[WSBAPT] Surplus Funds Post Foreclosure and DSHS

Randolph Petgrave RandGrave at msn.com
Tue Jun 19 11:11:56 PDT 2018

My understanding of 11.40.051 is that if the claim is not presented within 24 months of death, any creditor (including DSHS) is barred from making a claim.  In my experience, DSHS plays a little fast and loose with its claims.  I had a situation where the only asset of the estate was an interest in a partnership.  The only asset of the partnership was a piece of real property. The estate’s share of the partnership was not sufficient to cover all the costs of administration.  DSHS had a claim against the decedent and just went ahead and slapped a lien on the real property. They removed the lien once I explained the law to them.

Send DSHS a letter explaining the probate claims process and time limitations.  That should do the trick.  You’d think the Attorney General’s Office would educate their clients on these things.

Randy
Petgrave & Petgrave, PLLC
Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 4142