[WSBAPT] order to block disbursement of funds

Jenna Brozik jennaprinzlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:10:38 PDT 2018

Listmates,

I have a client whose partner of 30 years passed away recently.  They were
not married.  They both lived in New York and Pullman WA.  The probate was
done in NY and it has since closed.  My client lives in Pullman, WA.

Her partner had an investment account with Fidelity.  He listed as the
primary beneficiary his children and the second beneficiary my client.  Her
partner had no children.  He had a stepchild from a previous marriage but
he never adopted her.

Fidelity contacted us and said that my client was to receive he funds from
Fidelity as her partner had no children.  Then the stepchild gave Fidelity
an affidavit of descendance and now is trying to get the funds.  I had to
write a letter to Fidelity to temporary block the funds from being
disbursed to the stepchild until a court order is in place.  Fidelity won't
give me any information whatsoever.  I called the attorney for the probate
and he did confirm that it was the stepchild that gave Fidelity the
affidavit of descendance but he won't give me any information at all either.

My next step is to seek an order here in WA state to block the funds from
being disbursed to the stepchild.  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any
suggestions or comments would be appreciated as to what the next steps are.

Thanks,
Jenna Brozik
Attorney at Law
Prinz & Brozik PLLC