[WSBAPT] Trust Protectors

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Tue Jul 31 23:34:09 PDT 2018

Requests for information on this role come up all the time during interviews for proposed trustees.  I agree trust advisors/protectors should not be employed to insulate a trustee from liability.  I wouldn't hire a trustee that insisted on it for their own actions and I do not believe a trustee could be relieved of the duty to act in good faith and with honest judgment..  RCW 11.97.010.   But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Trust Advisors can perform very useful services, particularly in terms of replacing poorly matched or performing trustees or acting as simple interested parties to receive annual accountings and keep them in the loop.  It would make sense to consider using trust advisors, even paid ones, to review annual accountings with minor beneficiaries in the care of their parents to address the instance where the parent has a conflict of interest as in Anderson v. Dussault.  Could be far more cost effective over the use of a court appointed GAL.  I do believe Trust Advisors can be indemnified and held harmless from any liability, which makes sense - otherwise who would serve.

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.

A Washington Trust Company

Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal