[WSBAPT] Quick Question: Can Health Care Powers of Attorney be effective immediately?

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Wed Jul 25 11:02:23 PDT 2018

I always advise clients about springing and effective immediately, but point out administrative hurdles and time delays that can happen to prove incapacity for a springing POA.  Moreover, I state that if you do not trust the person to act properly as your fiduciary when you have capacity, then you shouldn’t be trusting them to act on your behalf when you are incapacitated.  With that said, I deal with a wealth of cases of bad acting POAs and trustees, who fail to understand what it means to be a fiduciary.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907