[WSBAPT] Real Property - No probate - over 15 years later!

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jul 9 12:44:58 PDT 2018

I think there are tax issues that will drive the bus on this decision. At this point, I would look at it as if I'm trying to structure the transfer: how can I get the ownership transferred to brother with minimum tax consequences?

1. Brother could do a quiet title for adverse possession at this point--10 years of exclusive occupancy and use. But his tax basis in the property would be zero.
2. Parents inherited it by law, and they got the fair market value basis at date of death; so perhaps probate would be better, and then parents could gift the property to their surviving son. Gift tax consequences for the parents, but maybe that's less than the capital gains consequences for a reduced basis. Brother would get the 2003 tax basis via the gift.
3. Has brother been deducting property taxes, etc., on his personal tax returns? If so, he probably should evaluate what his options are--were those deductions valid, are amended returns necessary, what effect might #1 or #2 have on validity of those deductions...

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC