[WSBAPT] Multiple claims against specialty bond

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu Jul 5 11:19:03 PDT 2018

Look at 18.27.040 and note the priorities of various claimants on the bond.
That would be the place to start, as the other claim may not be the same
kind of claim as your client's, thus not same priority.
However, claims of the same priority will share prorata based on the amount
of each judgment for the same class of claim, so long as the claims are
filed before the bond proceeds are disbursed from the registry. Typically,
with multiple claims on the bond, the Bonding Company counsel will file a
request to consolidate the claims from various counties, then tender the
bond proceeds into one county's registry; then seek exoneration of the bond.

Alex Friedrich does much of the legal work for the bonding companies. He is
now with Williams Kastner.
Larry Linville, an attorney in Seattle, has a very comprehensive handbook on
construction law that covers bond claims in detail. Worth every penny of the
purchase cost if you handle these construction claims.
http://www.linvillelawfirm.com/coursebooks.htm

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.