[WSBAPT] Signing with an X - Overseas

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Wed Jul 4 19:07:38 PDT 2018

Listmates:

An interesting issue.

I need a Consent for Termination/Adoption to be signed overseas.  The person (mother) signs with an X, not being able to read or write in any language.  I am making sure the person has local legal counsel, who can both counsel her and can provide translation from English to the individual's principal language of the language of the Consent form.

(This is for an adoption of her son, which she wants to have happen.  The son is an American citizen, with an American passport, having had an American father, now deceased, who has enlisted his best friend (a US citizen) to bring the son to the State of Washington to be educated, so this is NOT one of those situations where adoption is being used as a means of trying to confer citizenship on the adoptee.)

I recall there being a special statute used in situations where people sign with an X, but I cannot seem to put my hands on that statute.

Help would be appreciated from any of you with this knowledge, plus any additional bits of advice as to this type of situation.

Best Regards, and Happy 4th of July!

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.