[WSBAPT] Original Will locked in safe deposit box

Randolph Petgrave RandGrave at msn.com
Mon Jul 2 15:17:50 PDT 2018

Listmates,

I just accepted representation of clients with (I am sure) a not uncommon problem.  They are the two surviving children - and heirs -- of the decedent.  They have a copy of the will, which appoints them as co-PRs.  The decedent left an inventory of his safe deposit box which indicates the original is in there.  The decedent was the only one with access to the box.

What is the best way to proceed?  I could get them appointed via intestacy; or I could try to get the copy of the will accepted in lieu of the original.  Is there a third or fourth course of action?

Randy

Petgrave & Petgrave, PLLC
Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 4142