[WSBAPT] Deceased spouse's debt - separate or community?

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Tue Jan 30 14:05:27 PST 2018

Dalynne:

I think that your characterization of the debt is correct, but there are inherent proof problems with this scenario. Regardless of the characterization of the debts, you should consider notifying all the creditors and then filing a Petition for Spousal Support under RCW 11.54.010, et. seq. for the surviving spouse. Because of the circumstances, you probably have the facts to support an increase in the basic award to her so that she can keep the house and not pay these debts. Note that a decision in her favor by the Court wipes out all debts, including community debts of the decedent and the surviving spouse.

Jane Bitz.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC
12209 E Mission, Suite 5
Spokane Valley WA 99206-4824
(509) 927-9700; FAX (509) 777-1800
jbitz at whc-attorneys.com<mailto:jane at jbitzlaw.com>
[cid:image002.png at 01D06C8A.419B0730]
THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED BY THE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR OTHER APPLICABLE PROTECTION.  Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY E-MAIL, FAX OR TELEPHONE and PROMPTLY DELETE this electronic mail.  This mail cannot be modified without express written consent of Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC.  Thank You.