[WSBAPT] property transfer/IRS lien

John White white at livengoodlaw.com
Tue Jan 30 09:47:02 PST 2018

I’d be happy to spend a few minutes with you on this.

  1.  The P.R. can be personally liable for unpaid taxes to the extent he transfers property without seeing to the taxes (31 USC 3713).
  2.  Absent unusual circumstances, it is difficult to prevent the filing of a lien.  Most lien filing is automated as the taxes move through the collection process.  Installment payment of the taxes, except for very, very short—term plans mandates a lien filing to protect the government’s interest.
  3.  If the estate has insufficient cash to satisfy the lien, the beneficiary may be able to come up with the cash from sale of his home.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D399AF.465F65E0]

John J. White, Jr.
425.822.9281 Ext. 7321
Click Here<https://livengoodlaw.sharefile.com/r-rbdbeaca5f5649da8> to send me secure email and/or files

The contents of this message and any attachments may contain confidential information and be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine or other applicable protection.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message.  Thank you for your assistance.
Tax Advice Notice: If this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to IRS rules on tax opinions.