[WSBAPT] "undivided interests" in personal property

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jan 22 17:42:03 PST 2018

If they are "committed intimate relationship" partners, rather than state-registered domestic partners, the assets that are "community-like" are divided at death in a manner apparently similar to divorce: the court should make a "fair and equitable" division of the assets between the survivor and the estate. Survivor has no inheritance rights.

See Estate of Langeland (aka Drown v. Boone), also Peffley-Warner.

In answer to your direct question, the inheritance rules for real versus personal property vary slightly but are the same for most purposes. I think the critical question for you here, though, is characterization of each asset as separate property of the decedent, or community-like property belonging to the nonmarital relationship (CIR) that must be divided under equitable rules rather than a strict tenant-in-common equal division.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC