[WSBAPT] Non-judicial foreclosure: notice of default successorin interest

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Wed Jan 17 16:49:04 PST 2018

I think this is an issue of notice from the borrower before the NOD went out. The section (030) says ‘last known address’. You don’t have an obligation to go searching for possible changes of addresses, if you have no notice of a change of address. I think the same applies to notice of transfer of the interest, in respect to the definition of Grantor cited by John McCrady. The statute does not presuppose that you will obtain a TSG before initiating a Notice of Default.  There is no implication of due diligence searching in 030.

The due diligence regarding notices arises under the language found in 040, where there a litany of people who may have potential claims or rights found in the public record, thus, must be given notice to foreclose their interests.

Did your client have notice of the change of ownership to the LP? If not, then I think the Notice of Default is in compliance. If the lender had notice of the change of ownership before sending the Notice of Default then the responsibility to send the notice to the successor would attach. I would inquire of the lender to determine if they knew of the change of property ownership to the LP or any change of address notice, for that matter.

In this case, it appears that Rich, as the Trustee, only learned of the change or attempted change in ownership after receiving the TSG. The burden then, under the statute, is to send notice of Foreclosure and Notice of Trustee’s Sale to the successor.  It is my practice to send notice to all possible address and parties, sparing no expense on certified mail, once I have notice of changes of address or changes of ownership or additional possible claims to the property.

Given that posting was completed, and assuming no notice of change of ownership before sending the NOD, and given that both entities had the same mailing address, the risk here seems extremely minimal. The court cases look for “substantial compliance” with the statute, not absolute perfection. Under these facts, I don’t see the need to resend the NOD.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it’s confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, it’s too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.