[WSBAPT] Odd Probate

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Fri Jan 12 16:22:41 PST 2018

Thank you, John, for your response to my question yesterday. To answer your additional questions,

> What we need to know is the provisions of the RLT during the inter-mortem period. Was it not fully revocable by the husband? Did it mandate a split of up to her lifetime exemption into an irrevocable credit shelter trust?

The Trust was revocable during that time, but the wife died 12 days after executing the Trust documents. Nothing was done.

> The HEMS standard doesn’t make sense if it’s revocable. If it’s revocable and no split I donate see the point in getting upset about bypassing the RLT. But if her share was to be controlled through irrevocability that’s another matter.

The terms of the Trust provide for division and distribution of the personal property at the death of the first spouse and division of the residue into a Survivor’s Trust and Family Trust. The client states that at the time of his wife’s death he was struggling to get his business up and running and there was no money available for anything. Client recalls that at the time of the probate (4+ years later) a CPA valued his wife’s 20% interest in his company at $300,000, although he states his company has increased in value since then and currently has a value of $1 million. Obviously these figures do not align with a Community Property Agreement (which is in the paperwork but unsigned or the signature page is missing) that would create a 50/50 division of all assets of both parties.

> Did the DOC disclose where the estate was distributed? That might matter in terms of tolling the SOL.

The probate was simply opened and then closed. No distributions were made. The client recalls that the purpose of the probate was to transfer the house into his name and take the deceased wife’s name off. He indicates that he paid off the mortgage at that time.

At this point, what do we do with this terribly drafted Trust with key elements unsigned and nothing funded? The language is so poorly drafted I can barely make sense of it, and it seems to give significant if not total discretion to the surviving Trustee to determine the shares to go into the two Trusts. It ultimately states that at the death of the second spouse, the Survivor Trust and the Family Trust are to be distributed to the wife’s daughter and grandchildren.

The surviving spouse is currently 57 years old and in good health and wanting to re-marry and provide for his new wife at his death.

Thanks in advance for your help with this mess.

Amy

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>