[WSBAPT] Probate/Will Questions - Nonprobate assets

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Thu Jan 4 23:02:52 PST 2018

Rich:

I don’t see how RCW 11.11 reaches the nonprobate assets, since none are specifically referenced.

I think there is an Ademption because even though the specific pecuniary bequest is expressed as a percentage of the estate, it is a specific pecuniary bequest in cash that cannot be satisfied from the probate estate.

I don’t see an obligation of the nonprobate beneficiaries to abate because the specific pecuniary bequest is not one of the reasons they have to contribute:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.18.200

If the beneficiaries want to honor the bequest, perhaps they can disclaim a portion, as long as the default contingent beneficiary would be the probate estate.

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPad