[WSBAPT] Rule of Thumb for Distribution Disparity?

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at bwrconsults.com
Tue Feb 27 07:57:12 PST 2018

One of my probate matters involves two pieces of real property but three
heirs. The heirs have agreed, in principle, that each property will pass to
one heir and they will pay the estate back for the excess over their
share.  The oldest heir and executor is concerned that the younger sibling
will not pay what she owes back to the estate (share of estate is $150k,
this particular house is worth $215k - thus heir will need to pay Estate
$65k)

My question - is there a standard time by which someone should pay back the
estate before the Executor can reasonably say they are simply dragging out
the process and decide to sell and distribute the proceeds? I was looking
through the RCW and did not see any guidance for a situation like this.

Appreciate the feedback as we want to be fair to the heirs that knew they
were going to be writing checks back to the Estate, but also to keep the
process moving forward if they cannot come up with the funds and we need to
list the property for sale.

Thank you,
Brent

--