[WSBAPT] One spouse's IRA as community property - distribute nonparticipant interest to credit trust for surviving spouse (title owner of IRA)

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 02:12:00 PST 2018

John:

Conceptually the survivor has swapped the non participant decedent’s CP share of the IRA for the note in a non pro rata distribution. We’ve already cited the statute in the RCW that says decedent’s will, even residuary clause, disposes of decedent’s share of IRA. The decedent cannot dispose of survivor’s IRA nonprobate - no control of beneficiary designation.

How does note have negative income tax consequences? And if there’s no liquidity then the estate tax liability that drives the desire to fund the CST is moot.

My cent and a half.

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPad