[WSBAPT] SSN for sale of house

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Wed Dec 19 15:29:24 PST 2018

Hi Listmates,

I represent the PR of an estate that has been ongoing for a couple of years.  There is a surviving spouse and most accounts were joint, so no estate account was opened, and no tax ID number was obtained.  The estate recently sold the house that had belonged exclusively to the decedent.  I am wondering what the ramifications are if the escrow company uses decedent’s SSN versus an estate tax ID for the sale. Escrow said we could change the tax id they use if we want to, before the 1099 goes out.  I am thinking it makes more sense to run this under an estate tax ID, since decedent’s final income tax return was filed two years ago, but I am not sure whether it matters.  Can anyone speak to the ramifications of each choice?  If it matters, the proceeds of sale needed to go to my trust account due to a minor beneficiary/GAL issue.

Thank you,

Krista J. MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle WA 98115
(206) 523-6116
kjm.inc at icloud.com

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages. Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured. This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.