[WSBAPT] Lost and Found Will - What to Do?

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at bwrconsults.com
Thu Dec 13 11:06:14 PST 2018

I will piggy-back on what Eric has said, but mine is based upon an actual
experience where a client was losing his battle with Cancer and made a will
that shook things up such that he knew his family would not be happy with
the way the estate was going to be held.

After he died, his family made his entire estate planning notebook
disappear and claimed that there was no Will and that everything would be
distributed through intestacy.  This was absolutely NOT the wishes of my
client.

Short version - I showed up to Court with the family (and the successor PR)
and intervened before it ever got to the point where they would have had
time/ability to move things around.

I agree with Eric's analysis as to whether or not the substantive changes
impact who is being harmed.  At they very least, I would file with the
Court and then send (with proof of filing) to the attorney-of-record as
then it does fall squarely under their ethical obligations.

This will (most likely) cause a great discourse within the family but I
come at this from the stance that my client trusted me to ensure that their
estate would be distributed in accordance with their wishes. Personally, if
this were to ever cross my path again, I would proceed in that same way and
do what I could to make sure that I saw my client's wishes were followed.

Good luck!

Brent