[WSBAPT] health care directive - assisted suicide

Kim Hammit kim at gsjoneslaw.com
Mon Dec 10 09:11:20 PST 2018

Does anyone have language I can copy/refer to for a health care
directive/poa requesting assisted suicide under RCW 70.245?  I don't have
anything in my forms as this request has never come up for me.  Is this even
allowed?  I didn't see anything either way in the DWDA.  I see an exception
for insurance that to me seems to say insurance cannot be conditioned upon a
person taking advantage of this act so the policy cannot be denied if the
insured life is taken under this act, correct?  If it is allowed, would it
make sense to use the RCW 70.245.220 language in the HC directive?  Only
problem I see with that is that it specifically states that the signor has
been informed of the diagnosis, prognosis, etc. but in the case the patient
is unable to receive that information, would it render that invalid?

Am I overthinking this and it's really as simple as putting basic "I wish to
utilize the DWDA in the event that I qualify and am otherwise unable to
convey this determination, I allow and authorize my attorney in fact to
execute any requests or consents required under RCW 70.245"

Kimberly S. Hammit

Associate Attorney

GSJONES LAW GROUP, P.S.

1155 Bethel Avenue

Port Orchard, WA  98366

Tel:  (360) 876-9221

Fax: (360) 876-5097

GSJONES LAW GROUP, P.S. - The information in this email message may be
privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Any
review, dissemination or use of this transmission or its contents by persons
other than the addressee(s) is strictly prohibited and this transmission
does not constitute a waiver.  If you have received this transmission in
error, please delete this email and respond to sender via
<mailto:kim at gsjoneslaw.com> kim at gsjoneslaw.com or call our office at (360)
876-9221.