[WSBAPT] Intestate Probate Administration: Suggestion to Client as PR for Retaining Records

Jake Seegmuller jake at nwlegacylaw.com
Fri Aug 31 11:44:59 PDT 2018

Hello listmates,

This is my first question to the group as a Washington attorney, and it's
not one I've found a clear answer to in my initial investigation.

We have a client serving as PR of a substantial estate. Decedent died
intestate and engaged in no estate planning. Decedent held several entities
and assets that produced an enormous amount of paper. Client provided us
these records - everything from bills, to checks, to formation documents,
to taxes to organize and understand the estate.

At the end of administration, I'm wondering what the best suggestion for
record retention is for the client. How long should a former PR retain
records of the Decedent used for estate administration? I've seen some
suggestions focused strictly on the IRS tax issues suggesting three to
seven years, others suggesting ten years. What has been your practice for
advising clients as former PRs for retaining estate records? Is digitizing
appropriate?

Thank you!

*Jakob O. Seegmuller *
Attorney