[WSBAPT] RCW 11.103.030 - Character of Property Transferred intoTrust

jacyphers at gmail.com jacyphers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:34:01 PDT 2018

Looking at 11.103.030 (2), the first question that comes to mind is:

Since one spouse has apparently died, is this still a revocable trust??
If one spouse as died, it would seem that the trust is clearly no longer
revocable as to that spouse.
The Trust terms may give all property to the surviving spouse, in which case
the surviving spouse can probably revoke.
But if the Trust terms give the deceased spouse's separate property or share
of community or joint property to some one else, or into a trust for the
surviving spouse,
then I am not sure that the statute applies any longer.  I don't think the
Trust is revocable as to the deceased spouse unless the Trust terms clearly
state it is.

But I have had no experience with that statute.

Jackie Cyphers
Jeannette A. Cyphers, Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 908
Edmonds, WA 98020-0908
425-776-5887
fax 425-640-0814
jacyphers at gmail.com

We do not use encrypted email so this message is not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege.  NOTE:  This email address is NOT
monitored 24/7.  If your matter requires prompt attention please call our
offices during business hours so we can discuss it with you and also discuss
timing.

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
Sections 2510-2521 applies to this e-mail. Unauthorized review of
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by phone or reply e-mail. Do not disseminate this
e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies.