[WSBAPT] Client moved out of state to an assisted living facility without contacting me

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 20:07:35 PDT 2018

Anthony:

My standard practice would have been to place the specific devise in the RLT and keep the pour over Will simple.  Does he not have a DPOA specifically authorizing the AIF to finish funding the RLT?

It sounds like his son will inherit the house, due to the way the Will is written. There’s no reason the son can’t lend secured by the house inside the RLT.

I would think long and hard about having him gift the WA house to the son. I can’t opine on capacity. The upside is if his WA estate is WA taxable the gift removes the house from his gross estate. But you’ll have to file a Form 709 and use up part of his federal exemption, so if his estate is federal taxable there’s not much advantage. The main downside is the son will inherit the client’s basis - you miss the step-up at his death.

Unless you’re licensed in CO, I would refer the client to local counsel for any changes to anything other than the RLT.

Regards,
John J. Sullivan

Sent from my iPad