[WSBAPT] Rights of disinherited surviving spouse after separation?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Aug 23 10:21:03 PDT 2018

Here's my analysis, for what it's worth. Good resource for case law and statutory references is the WSBA Community Property Deskbook (4th ed. 2014).

Decedent (D) purchased the property in 1989 while unmarried. Characterization is determined at time of acquisition, so the property is D's separate property. If it was financed, then the debt on it is also D's separate debt. See Deskbook Ch. 3.1, 3.2(14).

D and Spouse (S) get married in 1994 and separate in 1999. During that 5-year interval, if they made payments on that property debt, using community funds (such as earnings), then arguably the community would have an equitable right to reimbursement for the use of community funds to pay D's separate debt. Unless D had a big savings account of separate funds going in to the marriage from which D could have made the payments, the most likely presumption will be that payments made on debt during that time will have been from community funds. See Deskbook Ch. 3.4.

D and S remain separated but married from 1999 until D's death in 2017. During this interval, you're reliant on RCW 26.16.140<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.16.140>, which states in relevant part: "When spouses or domestic partners are living separate and apart, their respective earnings and accumulations shall be the separate property of each." So when you say they never reconciled, I hope that means they continued to demonstrably live apart and not commingle finances or otherwise behave as married. See Deskbook Ch. 3.3(4).

So now, in 2017, S has in theory a potential claim for one-half of the community's claim for equitable reimbursement of community funds used to pay the debt on the property between date of marriage in 1994, and date of separation in 1999. However, there are multiple defenses and setoffs available against such a claim--which is a much longer conversation. If it's relevant, call me or email me offline to discuss.

The biggest pain here is that S is still a surviving spouse under the statutes, and you have to treat S that way--give S notice of petition to commence the probate under RCW 11.28.131, etc. But I think that is the safest route; give S all the notice and due process to make sure any potential claim is completely barred by the probate administration.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC