[WSBAPT] Open a probate or not

Ralph Maimon rmaimon at maimonlaw.com
Thu Aug 16 13:15:11 PDT 2018

My 2 cents.

Give this some thought.

I wonder why the motorcyclist has not made a claim so far.   If that is the case:

Most plaintiff attorneys will make at least a cursory check of the status of the person's financial situation and, unless there is a fortune to be had, they stay within the applicable limits.  They do not like to go after personal liability and collection problems.

You risk non-coverage if you do not notify the liability carrier as to the pending claim and they are prejudiced by the delay (e.g., cannot collect important information).  I'd tender the claim to the insurance company.  I would tell the insurance company the timing situation and they will likely not do anything because it is in their interests to wait it out, as well as your client.  So, no damage there.

Even if there is a risk of liability beyond the policy limits, the insurance company may be able to get it settled for its limits and get a release for your client (her estate). The claimant does not need to know the insured has passed away until the case is settled.

If the injured party goes to their UIM (assuming there is UIM for a motorcyclist) , the UIM carrier has the right to go after the at fault party for subrogation.  Would the two year limit work there?   Will you get the benefit of waiting it out to avoid that as well?  I would think so.

Even if the motorcyclist has been in touch with your insurance company on his own or via an attorney, much of this still applies.

Ralph Maimon

Law Office of Ralph Maimon, P.S.
2811 E. Madison Street, Suite 202
Seattle, WA 98112
(206) 323-0911
Fax: (206)462-1505
www.maimonlaw.com<http://www.maimonlaw.com/>

This email is confidential. If you have received it in error,
please notify me and delete it from your device
without reading.  Thank you.