[WSBAPT] Estate Distribution

Peggi Moxley peggimoxley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:43:26 PDT 2018

Unfortunately, in my practice I see a lot of cases where the parents enabled
one child by constantly bailing them out.  I had one case where a child was
given $4,000 per month for about 3 years because they could not find a job.
(The parents were both still alive and I told them if someone gave me $4,000
per month tax free, I might not be able to find a job either.)  I found this
out during an estate planning conference and the gifting stopped.

In that type of case, I do not think that the child/personal representative
can adjust the inheritance to that child unless the receiving child ever
signed a Promissory Note or some other written promise to pay back the
parent or parents put an "advancement article" in their Will.

Peggi Moxley

Wenatchee WA