[WSBAPT] Small Estates Affidavit Questions

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Mon Apr 2 18:42:45 PDT 2018

Eric:

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

I agree with your analysis.

So often, we are dealing with only family members, and it seems much cleaner to have just one Claiming Successor to collect all of the insurance proceeds, or the contents of a bank account, and then to make distribution to the family members, as opposed to possibly leaving a percentage with the depository or the insurance company.  And, if the remaining portion of the fund goes unclaimed, and is turned over to the Dept of Revenue, the only info the depository would have is that it was an asset in the name of the Decedent, and it might forever be impossible for the potential recipient to trace where the funds have gone.

Maybe that is why such recipients should pay attention to envelopes that come in the mail to them, perhaps asking them to give written authorization for the collection of their share of such assets by the Claiming Successor.

And, one Affidavit of Claiming Successor is considerably cheaper than having five different such documents prepared, one for each recipient, including (as in my case) three charities, sharing a mere 7% of a $75,000.00 account.  Two of those charities get only 1% (or $750.00) and it makes more sense that the total fund be collected and distributed from my trust account, or the individual charities receiving mere 1% shares might be out $300.00 to $500.00, to be able to collect their individual $750.00 shares of the account.  Besides this, there will have to be separate $20 Death Certificates obtained by each of the five individual "claiming successors," if all is not dealt with by having only one Claiming Successor, working on behalf of all of the Successors.

But, that brings up an interesting point.  If a potential recipient wants (or needs) to make claim for his/her/its share of an account (perhaps because he/she/it ignored the mailing from a person trying to collect for all of the successors), how is he/she/it supposed to know that the facts set out in subsections (b) through (g) are true or not, and how can that recipient be in a position to swear, in an Affidavit, what the (b) through (g) facts are?  This is info that would ordinarily only be available to the person named as PR in the original Will.

That is why it seems to me that it would be much cleaner to have only the one Claiming Successor, hopefully having obtained written authorization from all of the other Successors.

And, horror of horror situations:  Among other things, Subsection 3 appears to cover a situation for the issuance of a new Certificate of Title to an auto, for instance.  What happens if the Claiming Successor is only entitled to 50% of an auto?  How does the DOL issue that Certificate of Title?  One can imagine a scenario where formal probate, and the attendant costs, might be the only way to deal with such issues if an essentially indivisible asset cannot practically be re-titled if it would result in fractional ownership interests in the personal property asset.

Thanks again, Eric.

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt