[WSBAPT] Small Estates Affidavit Questions

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Mon Apr 2 15:16:55 PDT 2018

Listmates:

I have a question regarding the requirements of RCW 11.62.010, the Small Estates Affidavit Statute.

It appears that when one signs a Small Estate Affidavit, there is a requirement in RCW 11.62.010(i) that the Claiming Successor has obtained "written authority" of "all other successors" to take full payment or delivery" of the account in question.  However, what then is the purpose of giving ten (10) days' notice to the other successors [per RCW 11.62.010 (h)], if there cannot be a taking of the entire account without securing written authority of all other successors [per RCW 11.62.010(i)]? Additionally, nothing in that sub-section states what a recipient of such notice can do in response to such notice.

In my case, there are two major recipients due to receive the account proceeds (one of whom will be signing the Affidavit as the Claiming Successor.  This person was also designated PR in the Decedent's Will.), constituting 93% of the account.  Three charitable organizations are to receive the other 7%.

My intention was to let the Claiming Successor secure the entire account proceeds, place all funds in my trust account, and to then distribute trust account checks to the two major recipients, and three small trust account checks to the three charities, in the appropriate percentages.

Or, do I have to get written authority of all four of the other successors, before I can arrange for my "Claiming Successor" client to claim the entire account, for all five recipients.  What if I am unable to get one such signature?  (This would be an acute problem if one of the recipients was a black sheep member of the family who had not been seen or heard from for 25 years.)

Any thoughts?  Or, how about a two-by-four to my head if I am simply miss-reading the sub-paragraphs in question?

Thanks for any responses.

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties.