[WSBAPT] Equalization provision in a will?

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Nov 28 11:13:04 PST 2017

I include a similar provision in many of the Wills that I draft. I think it gets complicated if a beneficiary receives pre-tax retirement assets, and there could be disagreement about how to offset those against estate assets which have no income tax, but still think it is valuable. Ideally taxable assets will go to the main beneficiaries approximately equally.

A further complication can arise if the nonprobate assets are of significant size so that a nonprobate beneficiary receives more than their "share" under the will. In that case, I think it is important to clarify if reimbursement is or is not required.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.