[WSBAPT] Discovery in Probate Proceeding

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu Nov 16 09:40:13 PST 2017

The embezzlement statute I cited authorizes a separate cause of action (even from that of TEDRA, I would suggest). However, since you are just trying to obtain records in order to review prior actions, there may be no evidence of embezzlement yet.
Filing a petition under TEDRA with a citation in form of order to show cause, requesting a discovery order under 11.96A.100(10) would appear to meet the goals you describe. See Probate Desk book 9.4.1(d) for a discussion of the citation process. I think the statute reaches the issue of records since it addresses “persons in possession or within his knowledge” of the decedent’s transactions.

I would be tempted to write a letter with a demand for records, advising that you will file an action to compel  delivery of records if they don’t comply and will seek attorney’s fees, unless you think they will destroy records.
If you have concerns about “spoilation” of evidence,  add warnings to the letter. See  the following link and similar for a discussion of this topic.
http://apps.americanbar.org/abastore/products/books/abstracts/5190497_chap1_abs.pdf

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it’s confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, it’s too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.