[WSBAPT] referral - pixilated but not poor

Martin Silver msilver at wolfenet.com
Sun May 21 19:11:11 PDT 2017

Listmates:

several years ago an elderly woman, J, very nice, very pleasant and cheerful, came to the Stokes Lawrence office with what she thought was a tax issue.  They referred her to me, their tenant.  What she had was no problem at all and she was not charged for the 5 minutes time, but for several years she would pop into the office and bring flowers, candies, sometimes other little gifts.  she thought I was her lawyer, but it weren’t so.  I had reports that she sent flowers or maybe it was candy to another law office, with my name on it, and they called and had it sent over to my office.  You get the point I trust.

I don’t know who she confused me with.  Definitely pixilated.  She apparently has some wealth and I fixed her up with a good CPA I knew who is very very nice.  They didn’t get along even though the CPA went the extra mile.  I haven't seen J for years and thought the worst.  A few days ago her niece called and said J. is living with her, in other words, J is no longer living in her own condo.  I had earlier sent J to a colleague, for some landlord/tenant issue and he said she was convinced people were spying on her – so maybe it was haunted and that’s why she is living with her niece.  But I digress.

The niece said that J wants to do a will and some other dox and that I was her lawyer and the niece called me to confirm that.  I confirmed I was not and never had been her lawyer and the word “guardianship” leaped into my mind, along with estate planning documents.  I don’t want to do it.  Niece says J is quite wealthy, and judging from a tax return I saw when she came in certain that it was improperly prepared, she also has annual income.  I told the niece I would see if I could find someone.  I think it will generate fees, whatever it is, though whether J is competent to do anything I don’t know.  She once sent me a check for, I think, $400, and a note saying this would help with my new family.  I sent it back to her with a note saying I think she had confused me with another lawyer, and that I did not have a new family.

Let me know if you or someone you know is available to take on what will surely be billable fun.

MARTIN SILVER, LLM TAXATION, NYU
ATTORNEY AT LAW

1420 - Fifth Avenue, Suite 3000
Seattle, Washington 98101

Tel: (206) 224-3461
Fax: (206) 224-3459

Web: http://silvertaxlaw.com

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT PLEASE IMMEDIATELY ADVISE THE SENDER BY REPLY EMAIL AND DELETE THE MESSAGE. THANK. YOU.