[WSBAPT] Property of deceased held by client

J Richard McEntee, Jr. jrmcentee at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:25:48 PDT 2017

Follow up from a prior message — more facts now.

Client and ex-girlfriend remodeled a home together and agreed to split the profits. Title was in client’s name. Girlfriend passes away before the home sold. Before there death girlfriend stated that when the home sold she wanted her share of the proceeds to be divided evenly between her two adult children (25 and 30 years old). However, she further stated that it was her wish that each child receive its share at the age of 45. She directed that her sister hold the money and distribute it to each child when reaching 45. Ex-girlfriend died intestate and there was not probate. Aside from the home sale proceeds, she had no assets.

The house has sold and my client holds the proceeds. He wants to settle with the children and move on. He also wants to honor the ex-girlfriend's wishes and give the money to the aunt to hold until the children reach age 45. Apparently, the children are ok with this arrangement. I am concerned that the kids may change there mind sometime down the road. (One child has a drug problem.)

My main goal for the client is to settle any claims that the children may have for a share of the house sale proceeds. Client does not want to give the money to the children outright.  I don’t want the client to simply provide the proceeds to the aunt without some release from the kids.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Rich

RICH McENTEE
McENTEE LAW OFFICE