[WSBAPT] Decedent's Taxes & IRS Tax Liens

Martin Silver msilver at wolfenet.com
Mon May 15 11:29:38 PDT 2017

IRS does not release liens unless taxes are paid or unless application is made for subordination or discharge of particular property which IRS does if it sees monetary value from doing so.  Liens have a built in expiration date generally knowable from the face of the lien except for circumstances which can toll the collections statute of limitations, and thereby extending the lien which is tied directly to the collectability of the debt.  the problem is a practical one.  IF there are no assets to distribute over and above death and last illness expenses there shouldn’t be a problem with a lien.  If there is real estate and a lien is filed, then the lien attaches, usually in regular order of priority by filing dates, period.   I will defer to to others on the declaration of completion, except I think you could recite that there are not funds to pay taxes, or that attorney spoke to IRS who said this and that.