[WSBAPT] Decedent's Taxes & IRS Tax Liens

Martin Silver msilver at wolfenet.com
Mon May 15 08:14:01 PDT 2017

I just saw this string and agree that if GF wants the house she should settle with IRS.  If the returns were filed late in addition obviously to being paid late PR might seek a waiver of all or some penalties for reasonable cause if the death/last illness (etc.) can plausibly be seen as a contributing factor.  IRS doesn’t routinely file liens on very small amounts, cannot remember the cut off, but it may be 5K or so and this may be a little over.  Moreover, if GF is PR she probably steps into decedent’s shoes even for an unfiled lien, so it is a losing proposition all around.  Go for waiver of penalties, of course before you pay it, possibly even sending a check in for  net taxes and asking for  waiver.  You may need transcripts of account, or at least a phone call to IRS to get actual tax balances.