[WSBAPT] Selling Property from Estate using a Deed of Trust (foreclosure risks)

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu May 4 11:29:56 PDT 2017

Agreed. I was just addressing the question about the selection of documents.
As to the wisdom of such transaction, I would recommend in writing to the PR
that they obtain written consent of the heir that will receive the interest
in the contract before proceeding. Some heirs may prefer the contract if it
is well negotiated and returns a good interest rate. But that is a question
of risk tolerance for the "investor". For the unsophisticated heir the
seller financed deal is most likely not a good choice; but some heirs may
want the investment instead of the cash.  Some heirs may actually have more
knowledge and risk tolerance than their legal counsel on this opportunity,
so respectfully suggest that we consider giving the heirs the option if
there appears a reasonable possibility of interest.

If the property is hard to sell or obtain financing on, then a seller
financed deal may be the only real possibility for a sale; so that may be a
consideration, as well.

Back in 2002 I wrote an article for RPPT Newsletter, which in 2003 became
the basis for an RPPT Real Estate Seminar topic about Seller Financing with
sample forms, etc.
The newsletter article is available at the RPPT website archives; Summer
2002 issue. It is members only access FYI.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.