[WSBAPT] TEDRA

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Thu May 4 08:38:44 PDT 2017

Good morning,

I have a potential client who is the PR of his father’s estate, represented by counsel. He states that his dad told everyone (including his financial advisor and others) that he was going to name him as beneficiary of his investment account. Dad died before filling out the paperwork. Apparently, the other heirs (all adults) are willing to agree to give him the funds in the account. His current counsel, who represents him as the PR, will not prepare a TEDRA agreement to this effect and told him to hire other counsel to do so.

Is there any reason I should not prepare this agreement as long as the other heirs are going into it with full knowledge and consent that they don’t have to sign it? Other than including a paragraph stating that they have been advised to seek independent counsel and had the opportunity to do so, is there anything else I should have in there to keep myself out of trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:brucejlambrecht at icloud.com>