[WSBAPT] Effect of Decree of Separation on Intestate Succession

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Wed May 3 16:29:40 PDT 2017

If the Community Property Agreement was specifically revoked by the terms in the decree of legal separation then the decree should govern the characterization of the property as the deceased spouse's separate property asset.

Under intestacy a separate property asset is distributed 50% to the surviving spouse and 50% to the heirs of the decedent other than the surviving spouse.

If the Decree of Legal Separation ignored the existence of the recorded CPA, then I think you get the opposite result. This is why CPAs are known as "the atom bomb of estate planning."

There may be another issue if the Decree specifically revoked the CPA, but was not recorded because a recorded CPA has to be revoked by recording the revocation, I believe.

Jane Bitz.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC