[WSBAPT] Weyerhaueser pension

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Mon May 1 12:40:28 PDT 2017

Colleagues:

I understand that the Weyerhaueser pension plan is administered through Willis Towers Watson in Chicago, IL. I also understand that the plan allows an employee to name only one beneficiary.

Does anyone have any experience with the plan on a post-mortem basis? My client has a substantial pension, along with two children. He has been allowed to name only one of them as a beneficiary.

I am searching for options and wonder if anyone has been able to work out a NJDRA resolution agreement with them to divide the distributions from the pension between two children? Or any other reasonable alternative to address this inequity? As it stands, it looks like the only option available is to consider non-pro rata distributions of other assets, but it is difficult to accommodate given the composition of the estate.

Thanks very much.

Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC