[WSBAPT] Community Property in terms of household furnishings

Bryce Dille BryceD at cdb-law.com
Tue Mar 28 19:48:25 PDT 2017

The wife if the circumstances are right can claim award in lieu of homestead under family allowance statute

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2017, at 6:28 PM, Douglas Bratt <djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com<mailto:djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com>> wrote:

Ah, the joys of step-relationships after the death of the one person in common with both sides of the relationship [in this case the death of the father of the two daughters, who is also the husband of a woman who (perhaps) the step-daughters have never liked all that much].  Now that he is gone, it might be that there is no reason for anyone to cover up their true feelings towards the others.

If there was any graciousness within the two daughters (who, perhaps, cannot fathom that this woman actually might have brought some joy into their father’s life), there might be a level of patience in the picture, with, perhaps, their being satisfied to get their share of the Estate later, especially if the step-mother is elderly.

However, I cannot imagine that daughters now wanting an Inventory and Appraisement are willing to extend any form of graciousness to your client, and I would be warning my client that she might, indeed, have to be prepared to buy the daughters’ share of the household furnishings if she wishes to retain them. (But, it is also possible that the step-mother has forced them to become formal at this point, with the demand for an Inventory and Appraisement, perhaps denying them access to the home half-owned by the father, after his death.)

So, my personal opinion regarding your question is that your client really does have to be prepared to cash out the daughters, if she wishes to retain the stuff.  Otherwise, it seems to me, there might have to be an estate sale, with each side of the equation receiving their share of the net proceeds.

It might very well be that you have already taken the following into account, but recall that as to ALL community property, your client retains her one-half ownership of the community property and the deceased husband has equally divided his one-half share of the community property between his wife (1/2) and the two daughters (1/2).  It seems to me that means that your client would be responsible for paying off the daughters to the extent of one-quarter of the value of each of the items, in order to be able to retain individual items.  Or, perhaps, she could give up a quarter of the actual items to the daughters, in lieu of a buy-out.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

<image001.jpg>

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.