[WSBAPT] Appoint GAL for Standby Guardian

Mike Jacobs mikej at riachgese.com
Fri Mar 24 10:20:08 PDT 2017

This email is a follow-up to a thread several weeks ago about appointing a GAL when seeking the appointment of a lay standby guardian.  I was in Commissioner Velategui's courtroom yesterday and the issue came up.  He was distraught to learn that one of the other commissioners had appointed a lay standby without a GAL.  He agreed there was no requirement or clear policy.  However, he opined that appointment without a GAL could subject the attorney to liability under Treadwell.  He also advised that he would make sure the other Commissioners (in King Co and the rest of the State) understood the need to appoint a GAL.

So, I understand that the practice should be or will be to appoint a GAL when seeking the appointment of a lay standby.

Sincerely,

Michael P. Jacobs
Riach Gese Jacobs PLLC
7331 196th St. SW | PO Box 1067 | Lynnwood, WA 98036
Phone: (425) 776-3191 | Fax: (425) 425-775-0406

Representing our community since 1959

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the e-mail. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us. Thank you.