[WSBAPT] Unique Situation re Discovery of Assets While Estate is Still Open but Scheduled To Close

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Thu Mar 16 12:45:30 PDT 2017

Colleagues:

My client, PR of an estate here in Jefferson County, thought he had
liquidated and gathered all of the assets of the estate. On Monday, my
client signed a declaration of completion of probate with future
distributions and mailed notice to all the heirs of the estate to that
effect. Then, this morning, my client contacts me to tell me that out of
the blue he received notice that the decedent had roughly $3,000 in
additional assets that the client had not known existed until that point in
time. The timing on this is shocking, considering we've been pretty
meticulous to go through everything in the estate. Nonetheless, I find
myself in a the unique situation where we do not yet need to file to reopen
the estate because it isn't closed yet, but if we don't do anything the
estate will automatically close in a month. Accordingly, I'm at a loss for
what procedure we should employ to keep the estate open until we can finish
dealing with these newly discovered assets. I'm probably overthinking this
thing, but would someone be willing to have a phone conversation with me
about this issue?

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
210 Polk Street, Suite 1
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***