[WSBAPT] TEDRA terms contra old court order

Cyrus Field cyfield at rockisland.com
Tue Mar 14 11:58:31 PDT 2017

Thanks Heather!

I guess I am confused on the difference between merely filing the agreement
pursuant to RCW 11.96A.230 ("equivalent to a court order") and petitioning
the court for approval (since no special representative is involved,
11.96A.240 regarding judicial approval of agreement wouldn't apply). While
having the agreement "blessed" by the court would be comforting, I can't
tell whether it is legally necessary or really adds anything. While
11.96a.125 allows judicial reformation of unambiguous will/trust based on
mistake of fact/law, that does not limit the ability to reform such using
the binding non-judicial procedures of .220. So if all interested parties
sign off on an agreement changing successor trustees that is filed with the
court, it seems as good as any stipulated court order. Am I in the bull
rushes? Thanks again for any input, Cy