[WSBAPT] Gift of Traditional IRA to Juridical Entity

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Tue Jun 27 15:18:29 PDT 2017

David:
Safest and best bet is to split the IRA into two IRAs now (the amounts don’t have to be equal, whatever % they want to allocate to charity is the % of the overall IRA they spin off into a new IRA).  Then you will have a IRA with the child trust as beneficiary and another with the charitable institution as beneficiary.  There are some “fixes” at death when you have both a charity and a trust as % IRA beneficiaries of one IRA, but it is easiest to deal with it now.  Clients can still pull equally from the IRAs.  In fact, I find clients have a tendency to alter their estate plan as the IRAs grow, i.e., withdraw more out of the charity IRA as it has performed better than anticipated and want to leave a lesser amount to the charity, and they don’t have to sign new beneficiary designations, which can get completed incorrectly, lost in transit, etc.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907