[WSBAPT] Validity of Will

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 12:38:12 PDT 2017

James:

Correct me if my recollection is wrong, but I believe there are cases where a revocation is found even if the revocation itself does not meet the formal requisites. I do not believe pencilled margin notes and interlineations can ever serve as a modification.

As an evidentiary matter you may need a handwriting expert's testimony.

What does your client want? If client doesn't want the Will to be accepted, what might be advisable would be to file the Will in the probate with a Declaration/Affidavit indicating belief that the markings in pencil constitute a revocation. Give the beneficiaries notice. Then they can argue for its admission if they choose and have time.

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone