[WSBAPT] TEDRA - expenses to heir

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:49:09 PDT 2017

Here is my briefing identifying the case of Estate of Jones which Jane references.  I took out facts and my references to the G estate which I was handling:

The court is left in the position to consider the payment of RE taxes and the lack of rent paid over the last 11 years.  Until an estate is closed, the heirs may not treat estate real property as their own. In re Estate of Peterson, 12 Wash.2d 686, 734, 123 P.2d 733 (1942).  Therefore, until the G home sold and closed, LM had the rights of an Administrator in the property wherein "[a]n executor is entitled to possess and control estate property during the administration of the estate and has a right to it even against other heirs.[1]  Once the estate was opened, LM immediately searched and obtained a buyer for the property.  In re Estate of Kruse, 52 Wash.2d 342, 343, 349, 324 P.2d 1088 (1958) (holding that a spouse with a potential homestead right in the property did not have to pay rent during an intestacy probate where the property was not otherwise disposed of by will); Ryan v. Plath, 18 Wash.2d 839, 844, 847, 864-65, 140 P.2d 968 (1943) (refusing to allow testimony about rent where an appointed administrator had run an intestate decedent's farm).  In re Estate of Jones, 152 Wash. 2d 1, 14-15, 93 P.3d 147, 153-54 (2004).  The trial court also found that Russell breached his fiduciary duty by having the estate pay for utilities, taxes, and insurance while he inhabited the house.  It is undisputed that the estate paid for these costs during 1996 and 1997. Although Russell could distribute the property to himself, he could not use the property for his personal use prior to estate closure. Therefore, the trial court properly found Russell responsible for the utilities, taxes, and insurance while he inhabited the house.  In re Estate of Jones, 152 Wash. 2d 1, 15, 93 P.3d 147, 154 (2004).

Dalynne Singleton

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291

360.568.5065
360.329.4079
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.
[Eagle2017BadgeSmall]  [Rated by Super Lawyers] <http://www.superlawyers.com/redir?r=http://www.superlawyers.com/washington/lawyer/Gary-Manca/ca059d21-1b6e-4fca-b396-80c253f82402.html&c=email_Small_badge&i=ca059d21-1b6e-4fca-b396-80c253f82402>      [cid:X.MA1.1404868472 at aol.com] [cid:image001.png at 01D0DB60.FF4B9070]