[WSBAPT] Interesting fact pattern - where to start?

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Thu Jun 1 14:10:36 PDT 2017

RCW 11.20.010 requires the custodian of a Will to file it within 30 days. If there is a Will and step-parent or attorney is sitting on it, PC could remind them of their duty to proffer the Will for probate. That statute is silent as to copies of Wills, and I haven’t researched this question, but perhaps PC could get a copy from the attorney if that’s all she/he has retained, as copies can be probated under RCW 11.20.070.

If no luck on the Will, try intestate probate. You’ll need to notify the surviving spouse, and SS has priority to be administrator of the community assets, but PC could be administrator over non-community assets. That would give PC legal authority to conduct inventory and determine where/if non-probate assets exist (subject to jurisdiction of probate court under Ch. 11.18 RCW).

Nicholas Pleasants
James Pleasants, P.C.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel.
(425) 497-0799 fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.