[WSBAPT] Estate Planning for Single Person (Might Involve EstateTax)

Felicia Value, Attorney at Law felicia at skagitprobate.com
Sun Jul 30 11:17:18 PDT 2017

Disclaimers,  and trusts,  don’t necessarily offer any tax reduction by themselves.  Both of those things are tools in a tool kit,  and they can work to reduce estate taxes when they are combined correctly with other tools.  An inter vivos trust,  for example,  can be an appropriate substitute for a Will in some circumstances.  But an inter vivos trust does not,  by itself,  make any difference re: estate taxes.  Neither does a disclaimer.

Once an unmarried person goes above the limit for a taxable estate,  their options for estate tax reduction are more onerous and less efficient than the credit shelter trust available to married couples.  The most efficient estate tax reducer would be that your client wants to make such large gifts to 501(c)(3) beneficiaries that his taxable transfers fall well below the estate tax amount.  Beyond that,  it gets pretty complex,  expensive and unwieldy.  If your client doesn’t like inter vivos trusts,  he probably won’t like ILITs and FLPs.  Respectfully,  you might want to pass him to a higher level practitioner.  I do it all the time.

Good luck!

Felicia Value
Attorney at Law
PO Box 578/116 North Third Street
La Conner, WA 98257
(360) 466-2088
www.skagitprobate.com

NOTE: I do not use encrypted email. Messages sent to or
from my office via email are not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege. This email address
is not monitored at all times. If your matter is urgent,
please phone my office during regular business hours.

This email may contain confidential material protected by
attorney/client privilege, and is intended for use solely by the above
referenced recipient. Any review, copying, printing, disclosure,
distribution, or other use by any person or entity is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the named recipient, or
believe you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender and delete the copy you received. Thank you.