[WSBAPT] Social Security Overpayment - how to get the SSA's attention?

Amber K. Quintal aquintal at omwlaw.com
Wed Jul 26 14:37:44 PDT 2017

Have any of you dealt with this?

SSA made an error with Client's mother's SS payments, realized it, and started making extra payments to make up for prior error. Client's mother died. SSA was notified but did not stop paying until the bank account was closed. For several years, the decedent's child who served as Rep Payee tried to get SSA to calculate the overpayment and accept repayment, but SSA ignored her. Years later, we opened a probate (prompted by a different issue) and now PR has been trying for months to get through to SSA to get the overpayment amount calculated, but SSA ignores PR as well. The PR has called the SSA and gone to the local SSA office several times. They are always promised that someone will send them a notice or follow-up, but so far, nothing. Since the claim bar doesn't apply to SSA overpayments, how do we force SSA to give us an overpayment amount and accept repayment so we can settle up and be done with this estate?

Thanks in advance!

Amber K. Quintal |  Member

Ogden Murphy Wallace P.L.L.C.
901 Fifth Ave., Suite 3500 Seattle, WA 98164
phone: 206.447.7000  |  fax: 206.926.2879
aquintal at omwlaw.com<mailto:aquintal at omwlaw.com>  |  omwlaw.com<http://www.omwlaw.com/>

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION - This communication constitutes an electronic communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the recipient intended by the sender.  It may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of any of the contents is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original transmission and all copies.