[WSBAPT] Special Needs Trust & allowable expenses

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Wed Jul 26 12:03:34 PDT 2017

Jim,

I’m certainly no expert on this, but if the remodeling is for the purpose of making the home more appropriate based on the specific disabilities of the sister, then I think it makes perfect sense to spend trust funds on it, particularly when the remainder beneficiaries are chipping in.  If the house as it is cannot adequately accommodate the disabled sister, then she is not getting the benefit of the house.  When the trust was written, the point was presumably to give her a benefit of a place to live that met her needs.   I would feel comfortable with this expenditure, but I think there should be some good documentation about what isn’t working for the sister and why, and how the remodel will make it work better.

Krista J. MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98115
(206)523-6116
kjm.inc at mac.com <mailto:kjm.inc at mac.com>

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages.  Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured.  This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.